Premier Foods sells vinegar and pickle brands to Japanese company
Premier Foods has sold its vinegar and sour pickles business, including its Sarson’s and Haywards brands, to Japanese vinegar-specialist Mizkan, for £41m.
Sarson's: Premier Foods sells vinegar brand
The sale, which also includes Dufrais vinegar, forms part of Premier Food's decision to focus on its core brands, as it struggles to cope with hefty debts and offload non-core businesses.
Premier Foods said the funds from the sale would be used to pay down the company’s debt pile.
The deal marks the second major deal involving a British food brand and an Asian buyer in recent months, following the sale of a majority stake in Weetabix to a Chinese state-owned business.
The sale of the vinegar and sour pickles businesses is expected to be completed by the end of July.
Premier Foods said Sarson’s and Haywards brands are market leaders in their respective categories of malt vinegar and pickles while Dufrais is the number two brand in specialist vinegar.
It is unclear if the sale will lead to any redundancies.
Chief executive Michael Clarke said: "The agreement represents another important step in our strategy to focus on our Power Brands.
"Our vinegars and sour pickles business and employees will greatly benefit from being part of a global player focused on vinegar and liquid condiments."
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Quant Qual Research Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £38000 - £42000 per annum + other benefits, Hertfordshire
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...