Amazon prompts Kindle Fire speculation with Appstore expansion
Amazon is expanding its Appstore, which largely provides apps for the Kindle Fire tablet in the US, to Europe this summer, sparking speculation that it is gearing up for the tablet's international launch.
Kindle Fire: Amazon's 'iPad killer'
The store will be rolled out in the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain this summer, with plans for a global rollout to follow.
Jim Adkins, vice president of Amazon Appstore, said: "We see tremendous potential for current developers in our distribution programme to grow with the international expansion.
"We also encourage new developers to join and participate in the platform's growth."
Amazon launched its Appstore for Android apps one year ago and has tens of thousands of apps.
The ecommerce giant launched the first version of its Kindle Fire, which was billed as a potential "iPad killer" in September last year and at the time its UK launch was speculated for the start of this year.
It emerged last week that Amazon was plotting an iTunes rival, having reportedly struck deals with the four major US record labels.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Senior Designer Duke Circa £40k - £43k , London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...