Daily deals websites sent letters of warning by OFT
The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has sent letters of warning to 35 daily deals sites, including KGB Deals and LivingSocial, asking them to review their trading practices amid growing consumer concern.
LivingSocial: Rockstar TV commercial
The OFT has informed the companies that its recent investigation into Groupon has set an industry standard and their practices must be in line with its ruling.
The OFT said it is monitoring complaints about unfair commercial practices in the daily deals market and will take enforcement action against companies that breach the law.
Groupon reached a settlement with the OFT earlier this year, in which it agreed to "change its practices to comply with the law" and apologised for letting customers down.
The OFT's main concerns related to Groupon's failure to conduct promotions fairly, exaggerating savings claims, and failure to provide evidence that offers were available.
The agreement came after a three-month investigation following complaints from consumers and a referral from the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).
The ASA has continued to receive complaints about Groupon's ads this year. Just last week, complaints about three separate KGB Deals ads were upheld by the ASA.
Peter Briffett, managing director of LivingSocial, UK and Ireland did not comment on the OFT letter, but said the company had a "strong collaborative and constructive relationship with the ASA" and had recently received communication from them "detailing their satisfaction with our compliance record" over the past six months.
Briffett said: "We pride ourselves on our continued good record in this area."
KGB did not respond to a request for comment at the time of publishing.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)