Chevrolet: 'We'll build a car park for Manchester United fans'
Manchester United's new car sponsor, Chevrolet, is to build a car park at Old Trafford for fans of the club, the chief marketer of its parent General Motors told Marketing magazine.
Ewanick: wants to appreciate Man United fans
GM brand Chevrolet was unveiled as the 19-time English champions’ car sponsor, replacing Audi, at the end of May.
Joel Ewanick, GM’s chief marketing officer, said the brand owner was determined to 'appreciate the fans' and plans to build a car park next to Old Trafford ground. ‘This is our way of thanking fans for letting us be part of this,’ Ewanick said. 'We want to be a supporter, just like them.’
The company was given the option of a corporate box at Old Trafford but turned it down. ‘We’re giving the tickets back to the fans,’ Ewanick said.
Ewanick, talking to Marketing at the Cannes Lions Festival last week, added that Manchester United's failure to win the Premiership this year, or if it did not win next year, does not faze him.
It was more important for Chevrolet to be ‘associated with a team that has a chance and is always trying to win. We feel better about [Manchester United’s] heritage and their long-term prospects than just anybody we can think of’.
GM chose the club to help build its Chevrolet brand in Europe. In turn, Ewanick said, GM can help Manchester United gain a foothold in the US, ‘a market where they’re not so strong’.
Ewanick, who manages an $8bn global budget, attracted controversy when GM pulled its $10m paid advertising deal with Facebook, a story that published in the Wall Street Journal just days before the site's IPO.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - shopper marketing agency - London Judi Patton £50-65k dependent on experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)