Why Diageo said ‘No’ to London 2012 sponsorship
Drinks company Diageo considered sponsoring London 2012, but decided against it.
Andy Fennell: Diageo turned down Olympics sponsorship
"We won’t be sponsors of the World Cup or the Olympics," Diageo chief marketing officer Andy Fennell told delegates at the Cannes Lions Festival last week.
"It’s really expensive and hard to get a return."
Speaking to Marketing, he added: "Brands have to do [such sponsorships] on conviction. I’m sure some of them will get real benefit from being associated with the world’s most extraordinary sporting festival."
"Nonetheless," said Fennell: "If they try to do two-decimal-place ROI analysis, they will struggle, which is why most of them had board-level corporate conviction, and that’s what needs to happen."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Planner - Internal Marketing Agency National Trust £36,000 - £44,000* per annum, Swindon, Wiltshire
- Campaign Planner - Internal Marketing Agency National Trust £27,916 - £32,500* per annum, Swindon, Wiltshire
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England