Why Diageo said ‘No’ to London 2012 sponsorship
Drinks company Diageo considered sponsoring London 2012, but decided against it.
Andy Fennell: Diageo turned down Olympics sponsorship
"We won’t be sponsors of the World Cup or the Olympics," Diageo chief marketing officer Andy Fennell told delegates at the Cannes Lions Festival last week.
"It’s really expensive and hard to get a return."
Speaking to Marketing, he added: "Brands have to do [such sponsorships] on conviction. I’m sure some of them will get real benefit from being associated with the world’s most extraordinary sporting festival."
"Nonetheless," said Fennell: "If they try to do two-decimal-place ROI analysis, they will struggle, which is why most of them had board-level corporate conviction, and that’s what needs to happen."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £28000 - £32000 per annum, Birmingham
- Creative Artworker Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Northamptonshire
- Account Director - Retail to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Mid-Senior Print Designer | Contract | London Salt £200 - £300 per day, City of London
- Retail Marketing - Account Executive Barclay Meade £24000 - £27000 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Marketing Manager Barclay Meade £45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits, Reading