Why Diageo said ‘No’ to London 2012 sponsorship
Drinks company Diageo considered sponsoring London 2012, but decided against it.
Andy Fennell: Diageo turned down Olympics sponsorship
"We won’t be sponsors of the World Cup or the Olympics," Diageo chief marketing officer Andy Fennell told delegates at the Cannes Lions Festival last week.
"It’s really expensive and hard to get a return."
Speaking to Marketing, he added: "Brands have to do [such sponsorships] on conviction. I’m sure some of them will get real benefit from being associated with the world’s most extraordinary sporting festival."
"Nonetheless," said Fennell: "If they try to do two-decimal-place ROI analysis, they will struggle, which is why most of them had board-level corporate conviction, and that’s what needs to happen."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London