Barclays set to sign bumper Premier League deal
Embattled Barclays Bank is set to sign a bumper deal to retain its title sponsorship of the football Premier League.
Barclays: set to retain title sponsorship of the Premier League
An announcement on the estimated £35m-a-year-plus deal is expected in the coming weeks.
Barclays has been the title sponsor of the Premier League since 2004, with Barclaycard the title sponsor between 2001 and 2004.
The Premier League and Barclays have been negotiating over the past month, with one source saying, "it is a done deal."
The agreement is expected to be on improved terms for the Premier League. Its previous three-year arrangement was understood to be valued at around £30m a year. A source close to the negotiations said the new deal was set to be above £35m a year.
It will run from the start of the 2013 season through to the end of the 2015 season and will include exclusive world-wide marketing rights, UK and international TV programme accreditation, extensive advertising packages, match-day tickets and hospitality.
The Premier League, which recently signed a new lucrative broadcast deal with BSkyB and BT, was considering an alternative multi-tiered sponsorship deal.
However, it is thought the idea was rebuffed by a number of Premier League clubs, which have to approve the deal.
Barclays today (3 July) parted company with its chief executive Bob Diamond, who has caved in to public pressure over the bank's rigging of inter-bank lending rates.
The American banker, who has faced mounting calls to step down, said: "The external pressure placed on Barclays has reached a level that risks damaging the franchise – I cannot let that happen."
Barclays said it did not comment on commercial negotiations. The Premier League declined to comment.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London