Internal candidate George Entwistle lands director-general role
The BBC Trust has today (Wednesday) appointed internal candidate George Entwistle as the new director-general, to replace Mark Thompson, on a salary of £450,000 a year.
George Entwistle: incoming BBC director-general
Entwistle, who is currently director of BBC Vision, will take over the high-profile position in the autumn.
Thompson announced his decision to leave the BBC in March this year.
BBC Trust chairman Lord Patten said Entwistle had a passion about the BBC and is "committed to its public service ethos".
A number of senior executives had been linked to the Director-General role, including Ofcom chief executive Ed Richards. Also shortlisted for the role was BBC's chief operating officer Caroline Thomson.
Entwistle has been with the BBC since 1989 when he joined as a broadcast journalism trainee. He has held the position of director of BBC Vision since 2011. Prior to that he was the controller of Knowledge Commissioning and in the past has been responsible for programmes including Panorama.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Digital Display Executive (fashion e-commerce) Farfetch Competitive + bonus + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...