Internal candidate George Entwistle lands director-general role
The BBC Trust has today (Wednesday) appointed internal candidate George Entwistle as the new director-general, to replace Mark Thompson, on a salary of £450,000 a year.
George Entwistle: incoming BBC director-general
Entwistle, who is currently director of BBC Vision, will take over the high-profile position in the autumn.
Thompson announced his decision to leave the BBC in March this year.
BBC Trust chairman Lord Patten said Entwistle had a passion about the BBC and is "committed to its public service ethos".
A number of senior executives had been linked to the Director-General role, including Ofcom chief executive Ed Richards. Also shortlisted for the role was BBC's chief operating officer Caroline Thomson.
Entwistle has been with the BBC since 1989 when he joined as a broadcast journalism trainee. He has held the position of director of BBC Vision since 2011. Prior to that he was the controller of Knowledge Commissioning and in the past has been responsible for programmes including Panorama.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Manager fishtank 24k to 33k per year GBP, Surrey
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Junior Account Manager fishtank 22k to 28k per year GBP, Buckinghamshire
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...