ITV's Superstar struggles to match X Factor ratings
'Superstar', Andrew Lloyd Webber's search for the lead in a revival of his 'Jesus Christ Superstar' musical, peaked at a lowly 3.3 million viewers on ITV on Saturday night, according to unofficial overnight figures.
Superstar: judges Jason Donovan, Melanie C and David Grindrod
The show averaged 3.0 million viewers across ITV1 and ITV1 HD, enough to give it a 15.4% share of viewing on a night when none of the main channels picked up a sizeable audience.
The Littlewoods-sponsored series opened last Saturday with an average 3.05 million audience, a 14.9% share of viewing, and its second episode the following day managed 3.11 million.
Ratings are well short of the 10 million-plus audiences regularly achieved by Simon Cowell’s talent contests ‘The X Factor’, which returns in the autumn, and ‘Britain’s Got Talent’.
The night’s biggest audiences went to BBC One for ‘Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom’ (4.4 million viewers) and ‘The National Lottery: Secret Fortune’ (4.3 million viewers).
On Friday night, the latest live eviction from Channel Five’s ‘Big Brother’ mustered 1.5 million viewers and a 7.2% share of viewing.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Programme Evaluation Analyst Direct Recruitment £38,000 - £40,000 + bens, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...