Yahoo poaches Google veteran Mayer as chief executive
Marissa Mayer, Google's vice-president of local, maps and location services, has left the search giant after 13 years to take the vacant role of Yahoo chief executive.
Marissa Mayer: revealed her pregnancy to Yahoo in June
Mayer starts in the role today, bringing to an end Yahoo's period without a leader following the resignation of Scott Thompson in May amid health issues and in the wake of a storm over inaccurate information on his CV.
Interim chief executive Ross Levinsohn, who is head of global media, had been one of the favourites to succeed Thompson.
Hiring someone with Mayer's background in software engineering "signals a renewed focus on product innovation to drive user experience and advertising revenue", according to Yahoo.
Mayer was Google’s 20th employee and first female engineer and managed the launch of more than 100 products and features including image, book and product search, toolbar, iGoogle, Google News and Gmail.
She revealed yesterday on Twitter she was expecting her first child in October. According to Fortune magazine she disclosed this to the Yahoo CEO search committee in late June.
None of the Yahoo directors, she told Fortune, revealed any concern about hiring a pregnant chief executive. "They showed their evolved thinking," she said.
Mayer is also on the board of directors of Wal-Mart Stores and several non-profit organisations including the New York City Ballet.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...