O2 ends 10-year Arsenal sponsorship
O2 is dropping its sponsorship of Arsenal, 10-years after it launched the brand through a shirt sponsorship of the London football club.
O2: ends Arsenal sponsorship
The telecoms brand began its relationship with Arsenal in 2002, first as shirt sponsor and more recently as a secondary partner, after Emirates took on the primary role.
O2's sponsorship concludes at the end of this month. It is unknown at this stage whether there will be a replacement.
Sally Cowdry, marketing and consumer director at O2, told Marketing the brand will now focus on its sponsorship of the England rugby team and its Priority Sports programme.
O2 will retain an association with Arsenal, however, via a recent tie-up with Nike, through which it will offer exclusive experiences with the team.
Cowdry denied the decision was due to Arsenal's failure to win a major trophy since 2005.
Instead, it was driven by a focus on investing where O2 can achieve the "biggest impact for [its] customers".
An Arsenal Football Club spokesman said: "After ten successful years with O2, we have reached a mutual decision not to renew our partnership. We have worked together well over this time and we wish O2 every future success."Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...