Nike runs outdoor ad celebrating Farah's double Olympic victory
Nike has taken another swipe at hijacking Adidas' sponsorship of the London 2012 Olympics with an outdoor campaign celebrating Mo Farah's double gold-winning performance.
Nike outdoor ad: skirting sponsorship rules on Olympics ads
The outdoor digital campaign is running across a number of sites in London.
Farah – who won Olympic Golds in the 5,000m and 10,000m – is sponsored by Nike, which has not been a sponsor of the London 2012 Olympics.
The ad features the legs of an athlete and the strapline, "Twice the Guts. Double the Glory."
The legs of the athletes are understood not to be those of Farah.
Nike would not have been able to run the ad had Farah been in it, as rules mean that the Olympic blackout period which protects sponsors from other advertisers using Olympic athletes in advertising does not end until August 15.
It is the second quick-turnaround ad that Nike has produced in recent days, following the outdoor and print campaign starring Paula Radcliff, which it produced just days after she pulled out of the Olympics.
Following yesterday’s closing ceremony, Adidas released a PR-driven video, featuring some of its sponsored athletes lip-synching to Queen’s 'Don’t Stop Me Now'.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Comms Account Manager: £35k Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, London