Facebook's $1bn Instagram deal cleared by OFT
Facebook's $1bn (£641m) acquisition of photo-sharing service Instagram has today (14 August) been given the green light by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT), which has decided not to refer it to the Competition Commission.
Instagram: acquisition by Facebook is cleared by the OFT
The UK regulator launched its probe into the acquisition in June, to investigate whether a merger of the parties would prevent photos being uploaded to rival sites such as Twitter, or using other apps to upload pictures to Facebook.
An OFT spokesman said that having evaluated that the strategies of the two companies, "this was not be the case" and it would therefore not be referring it to the Competition Commission.
A document, which sets out the reasoning by which the OFT has reached its decision, will be published in the coming weeks.
Facebook announced its plans to acquire Instagram, one of the fastest-growing social networks, for $1bn in April, ahead of its IPO.
The app, which allows users to apply filters to photos taken on their phone and share them via social networks, has seen phenomenal growth, amassing more than 30 million users in under two years.
While the ruling is a victory for Facebook, which potentially could have been forced to make modifications to the Instagram business if the merger was not approved, it is still under investigation from the Federal Trade Commission in the US and could face a lengthy wait.
Facebook declined to comment on the news.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Director - FMCG & Retail to £55k Network Career Consultants £48000 - £55000 per annum, City of London
- Account Director - B2B & B2C to £65k Network Career Consultants £55000 - £65000 per annum, City of London