Costa apes Sky and moves into cycling sponsorship
Costa Coffee is aping Sky by moving into cycling sponsorship and backing Olympic medallist Ed Clancy's team, Rapha Condor Sharp, during the Tour of Britain in September.
Costa: sponsors the Rapha Condor Sharp team
The move marks the first time that Costa has branched into sport sponsorship.
The Costa Express brand, which was renamed after the company's acquisition of Coffee Nation, and not the over-arching Costa brand, is sponsoring the team.
As part of the deal, Costa Express branding will appear on the team clothing and on their bikes during the Tour of Britain. Costa could extend its sponsorship after this.
Costa also said Costa Express will be available during the tour and at the finish.
Caroline Harris, marketing director or Costa Enterprises, said: "Cyclists love their coffee so it’s a natural fit for Costa Coffee as we grow around the UK and are providing more consumers with the chance to grab a coffee on the go."
Multiple Tour De France winner Lance Armstrong drank coffee every morning while training for major events.
In 2008, it was announced that Team Sky was to be British Cycling’s main partners for the next five years in a multi-million pound deal.
In this year’s Tour De France, Bradley Wiggins, sponsored by Team Sky, won the race.
Ralpha Condor is owned cycling clothing company Rapha and Condor, a bike manufacturer.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)