Post-Olympic comms job surge could lead to 'flooded market'
The jobs market risks being 'flooded' with comms PROs seeking new positions after their Olympics-related work ended.
In a PRWeek podcast looking at the impact of the London Games on the PR industry, M&C Saatchi Sport & Entertainment CEO Steve Martin said the agency had been ‘inundated’ with CVs.
His words come as PRWeek reports how the comms industry will be hit by an influx of talent, including around 75 PROs from LOCOG this week.
However, Martin warned that while the best would get snapped up, others would struggle to find employment.
‘The experience they have will be very powerful but I don’t think the industry is there to have roles for all those people,' he said.
‘The jobs will be more on the agency side, and there will not be as many in-house roles,’ he went on to add.
Recently, it was reported that major sports agency Fast Track would be axing 10 per cent of its 150 staff following the end of the Olympics and Paralympics.
Recruitment agencies reported receiving CVs from those involved with the Games in August, and W Communications founder Warren Johnson said that those likely to get snapped up would have been smart enough to start hunting early.
However, he added that the influx could be a positive thing for a ‘flat market’ where finding good talent was tough.
Reflecting on lessons learned from the Games in general, Johnson said that agencies and clients had rediscovered the power of ‘sharing in the consumers’ experiences on site’ rather than focusing too much on social media.
Martin agreed, adding: ‘It’s less about what they say and more about what they do. It’s not just about pushing out messaging and hoping it sticks – it’s about the big experiential moments that people do share and talk about.’
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Mid Weight UX Designer Daniel Marks London 40k, Central London
- Senior UX Architect Daniel Marks London 65k, Central London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - Consumer Brands! Royds Raphael £35k-£40k / £150-£220+ day rate depending on experience, Central London
- Integrated Account Manager air recruitment Up to £30K dependent on experience, Central London
- Digital Intelligence Manager air recruitment Up to £50K dependent on experience, Central London
- Senior Planner (Brand Engagement) air recruitment Up to £70K dependent on experience, Central London