Ryanair 'cash passport' press ad is grounded
Ryanair has been banned from running a press ad, after the advertising watchdog judged the activity to be confusing and misleading.
Ryanair: no frills airline is forced to pull press ad
Ryanair’s press ad, believed to be created in-house, ran in February this year.
The text in the ad stated, "MALMÖ with Ryanair from £14.99 one way."
Additional information stated the dates and days of the week that the promotion was valid, alongside the text, "Fares exclude optional fees/charges".
One complainant said the ad was misleading because they understood the £14.99 fare was only available to consumers that had already paid for a Ryanair Cash Passport or payment card.
The airline claims the card allows consumers to avoid paying fees of up to £10 for using a credit or debit card when booking flights with the airline, but it carries a £6 purchase fee and a £2.50 inactivity-fee if not used for six months.
Ryanair emphasised that the £6 fee is redeemable against the cost of the first flight purchased with the Cash Passport, which the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) acknowledged.
However, the body also noted that consumers not already in possession of the card need to apply for it and await delivery before being able to purchase tickets at the advertised price of £14.99.
The ASA said: "In order to use the Cash Passport, consumers were required to load the card with a minimum of £150 and that additional charges applied to its use.
"We considered such details to be material information which the consumer needed in order to make an informed decision about the advertised price."
The ASA said consumers were not able to purchase tickets at the advertised price without already possessing a Cash Passport and banned the ad.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...