D&AD honours 50 years of industry talent
The creative industry's greatest achievers were recognised last night when D&AD handed out special awards to the individuals and companies who have amassed the highest number of its Pencils over the past 50 years.
Tony Brignull: D&AD's all-time greatest copywriter
In the art director category, the all-time winner was Neil Godfrey, who won his first Pencil five years after D&AD was established and worked at DDB and Collett Dickenson Pearce.
Tony Brignull, who is probably best-known for this print and poster work for brands such as Parker pens and Birds Eye, was the winner in the copywriting category.
The director prize was the only category where there was a tie for first place, between Tony Kaye and Frank Budgen. Kaye made the night’s most memorable trip to the stage, crawling up the stairs before presenting a business card to Rosie Arnold, who was presenting awards in her capacity as D&AD president.
The most-awarded agency of the past 50 years was CDP, followed by Adam & Eve/DDB* and Saatchi & Saatchi.
The production company prize went to Gorgeous Enterprises, which is behind classic ads for Levi’s and Guinness.
The most-awarded designer was David Hillman, who art directed Nova magazine in the 60s and redesigned The Guardian in the 80s.
Apple’s design guru Sir Jonathan Ive received a standing ovation from the room when he picked up two prizes: most-awarded brand and most-awarded design studio.
The winners have also been celebrated with short video interviews with their contemporaries:
Earlier in the night, the latest round of yellow and black Pencils were presented. Just one black Pencil was awarded, to Lowe/SSP3 Colombia for its ‘river of light’ campaign intended to demobilise guerrillas in Colombia.
Arnold also presented her President’s Award to Wieden & Kennedy founder Dan Wieden.
*Adam & Eve/DDB’s total includes those of BMP and BMP DDB after 1989. DDB UK was merged with Adam & Eve this year.
To read about The Greatest: D&AD's all-time award-winners, click here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...