Ofcom rules BSkyB 'fit and proper' to hold licence
Ofcom has ruled BSkyB as "fit and proper" to hold a broadcasting licence, but has hit out at James Murdoch, the media company's former chairman, describing his conduct as "ill-judged".
James Murdoch: former BSkyB chairman's conduct criticised by Ofcom
The media regulator today (20 September) published its long-awaited ruling on the satellite broadcaster in the wake of the phone hacking scandal which besieged Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation media empire and forced the closure of the News of the World Sunday newspaper.
News Corporation owns a 39.1% stake in BSkyB.
Ofcom was carrying out the review to establish whether Sky remained eligible to hold a broadcast licence in light of the scandal.
But Ofcom criticised the behaviour of James Murdoch, who stepped down as chief executive and chairman of Sky in April, stating that he "repeatedly fell short of the conduct to be expected of him as a chief executive officer and chairman".
However, Ofcom added that it considers the evidence available does "not provide a reasonable basis to conclude that James Murdoch deliberately engaged in any wrongdoing."
Ofcom also found that under the tenure of James Murdoch the company’s compliance record was good.
It said: "We recognise that whether it is appropriate for James Murdoch to be a director in light of the events is a matter for the board and shareholders of Sky."
BSkyB welcomed the decision and issued a statement in response that said: "As a company, we are committed to high standards of governance and we take our regulatory obligations extremely seriously."Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - GLOBAL BRANDING Royds Raphael £40k-£55k, London
- Account Manager / Senior Account Manager- contract & permanent Royds Raphael £36k-£45k / £160-£200 day rate, London