Alexander Lebedev charged over TV brawl
Alexander Lebedev, the Russian backer of the Independent and London Evening Standard, has been charged with "hooliganism motivated by political hatred", a year after he threw a punch at a property developer on a TV show.
Alexander Lebedev: approaches businessman Sergei Polonsky
The change of "hooliganism motivated by political hatred" is the same charge that was brought against Pussy Riot, the feminist punk band.
Pussy Riot were sentenced to two years in a prison colony.
Lebedev could face up to a possible seven years in prison.
Lebedev’s son Evgeny, owner of the Independent, the Independent on Sunday and London Evening Standard, yesterday (26 September) wrote on Twitter: "He is being targeted by people who don’t like his stance against corruption, and hate Novoya.
"I don’t condone violence, but punishment does not fit the crime here. We need more Russians to speak out against injustice, not fewer. I hope this isn’t the start of a new crackdown."
The 52-year-old Lebedev also co-owns Russia's main pro-democracy newspaper, Novoya Gazeta and has been a vocal critic of Vladimir Putin.
The charge against Lebedev relates to an incident last September when Lebedev appeared on the Moscow TV station NTV, and was involved in a scuffle with Sergie Polonsky, a property developer.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Copywriter fishtank 25k to 40k per year GBP, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Head of Marketing fishtank 45k to 60k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...