Aviva confirms split with UK Athletics after 13 years
Aviva has today confirmed that it has split as headline sponsor of UK Athletics after 13 years, as previously revealed in Marketing magazine.
London 2012: Jessica Ennis at the London games with Aviva livery
Aviva’s chief marketing officer Amanda MacKenzie said: "We feel now is the right time to pass on the baton to another organisation."
The insurer and UK Athletics will split at the end of 2012.
In June, Marketing revealed that Aviva and UK Athletics were set to part ways on their flagship £8m a-year sponsorship deal - one of the highest profile sponsorship deals in UK sport.
Aviva's relationship with UK Athletics dates back to 1998 and its current four-year deal, which ends this year, is thought to be worth around £8m a year.
Sources have told Marketing that UK Athletics wanted to introduce a new sponsorship model, which would spread the sponsorship across a number of brands.
The announcement of the split follows a successful summer of athletics during the London 2012 games.
It also follows the appointment of Sophia Warner, who competed in the London 2012 Paralympics, as UK Athletics new commercial director.
Mackenzie added: "The sponsorship has also enabled us to build awareness of the Aviva brand among the millions of sporting fans across the UK. The support we’ve given has helped athletes such as Jessica Ennis and Jonnie Peacock reach the very top of their sport, with stellar performance in London over the summer."
It is unclear at this time if UK Athletics have lined up new sponsors to take over from Aviva.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...