ECB commercial chief attacks football deals as English cricket seeks sponsor
The England cricket team is parting company with top sponsor Brit, prompting its commercial chief to hit out at some sponsorship deals in English football, saying English cricket would never sign such agreements.
England cricket team: parts company with sponsor Brit
Brit Insurance signed a four-year deal with the ECB (England and Wales Cricket Board) in 2009, taking over from Vodafone as the England cricket team’s primary sponsor.
Under the agreement, the Brit Insurance logo featured on all team playing and training apparel.
The deal also included sponsorship of the women's international cricket teams.
Brit has decided to end the deal and the ECB is on the hunt for a new top sponsor.
Speaking to Marketing, John Perera, ECB commercial director, commenting on a replacement sponsor for Brit, said: "The brand has to have stature commensurate with the England team. Some of the football deals wouldn't be appropriate for English cricket."
Perera's comment is a well-aimed dig at deals such as Newscastle United's recent sponsorship agreement with controversial loans company Wonga. The deal has attracted the ire of some critics.
Perera said the ECB was looking to sign a deal for a minimum of three years and pointed to showpiece tours coming up, including the Ashes and a tour of India.
The Brit and ECB deal ends in May 2014 but the ECB said it had an arrangement whereby a new sponsor could take over at an earlier time.
Newcastle United was unavailable for comment.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Executive air recruitment Up to £22K (dependent on experience) plus benefits and bonuses, Central London