Back-pedalling Nike drops Lance Armstong
Nike has dropped cyclist Lance Armstong following "seemingly insurmountable evidence" that he participated in doping.
Nike: 'driven' campaign with Lance Armstrong
After initially standing by Armstrong despite US doping authorities accusing him of being a "serial cheat" Nike has now "terminated" its contract with the high profile cyclist and cancer campaigner.
Earlier today Armstrong stood down from his position as chairman of the Nike-backed cancer charity Livestrong.
This afternoon Nike said in a statement: "Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him.
"Nike does not condone the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs in any manner. Nike plans to continue support of the Livestrong initiatives created to unite, inspire and empower people affected by cancer."
Last week, a report from the US anti-doping authority Usada, said Armstrong ran "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme that sport has ever seen".
Armstrong has also been a spokesman for the AB InBev beer Michelob Ultra. Last week the brewing giant stood by Armstrong but a spokesman had not responded to request for comment today.Follow @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)