Back-pedalling Nike drops Lance Armstong
Nike has dropped cyclist Lance Armstong following "seemingly insurmountable evidence" that he participated in doping.
Nike: 'driven' campaign with Lance Armstrong
After initially standing by Armstrong despite US doping authorities accusing him of being a "serial cheat" Nike has now "terminated" its contract with the high profile cyclist and cancer campaigner.
Earlier today Armstrong stood down from his position as chairman of the Nike-backed cancer charity Livestrong.
This afternoon Nike said in a statement: "Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him.
"Nike does not condone the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs in any manner. Nike plans to continue support of the Livestrong initiatives created to unite, inspire and empower people affected by cancer."
Last week, a report from the US anti-doping authority Usada, said Armstrong ran "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme that sport has ever seen".
Armstrong has also been a spokesman for the AB InBev beer Michelob Ultra. Last week the brewing giant stood by Armstrong but a spokesman had not responded to request for comment today.Follow @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Programme Evaluation Analyst Direct Recruitment £38,000 - £40,000 + bens, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...