MPs slam 'patronising' MTV show and demand share of ad profits go to Valley charity
David Miliband MP is among a number of MPs that have signed an open letter to MTV lambasting its "flagrant disregard" of people in its reality TV shows and urging the broadcaster to share 5% of its advertising profit from 'The Valleys', the new Welsh reality show, to charity.
The Valleys: MTV reality show attracts complaints from MPs
In the letter, a number of MPs and Welsh Assembly Members have accused MTV of promoting patronising stereotyped images of South Wales and the North East in its TV reality shows, 'Geordie Shore' and 'The Valleys'.
The letter demands that MTV share a proportion of the advertising profits from its latest show, ‘The Valleys’, with a local charity, Valleys Kids, to "show respect" to the area and people.
MPs including: Chi Onwurah; David Miliband; Owen Smith, shadow secretary of state for Wales; and Paul Murphy, former Secretary of State for Wales and Northern Ireland, have signed the letter and ‘The Valleys are Here’ petition, calling for MTV to donate a share of its advertising profits.
MTV’s Welsh reality show ‘The Valleys’ first aired on 25 September and follows nine young people from the "obscurity" of their Valleys to see if they succeed amidst the hustle and bustle of Cardiff.
Following the launch of the series, Twitter followers including Welsh celebrity Charlotte Church, condemned the series calling it "a horrific representation" of Wales.
James Bevan, co-founder of The Valleys are Here campaign said: "When making and promoting 'The Valleys' - just like 'Geordie Shore' before it – MTV have wheeled out a bunch of negative and patronising stereotypes just so they can make a fast buck."
He said: "We know that 5% of advertising profits from 'The Valleys' will be a drop in the ocean for MTV, who made a fortune off the back of 'Geordie Shore'. However, that cash could make the world of difference to the lives of young people at Valleys Kids."Follow @SaraKimberley
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)