BT trademarks potential names for sports channels
BT is considering a number of brands for its new sports channels, including BT Sport1 and 2, BT Sports1 and 2 and, if it only launches a single channel, BT SPORT.
Jake Humphrey: will host BT’s Barclays Premier League football coverage
BT, which launches its premium sports offering next year, has registered a number of trademarks at the Intellectual Property Office, including BT Sport1, BT Sport2, BT Sports1 and BT Sports2, and BT SPORT.
Sources close to BT confirmed the registered trademarks were potential brand names for the new BT sports channels, but said no decision has yet been made.
Although there are no clashes between the Barclays Premier League and Premiership Rugby games, it is thought that many of the other sports BT is interested in could cause scheduling issues and so it would need more than one channel.
Last week, BT confirmed it had hired Simon Green, the former chief executive of boxing channel BoxNation, to run its sports channel. He will start his new role on 1 November.
Marketing's sister title Campaign revealed last month that BT was planning to scrap its BT Vision boxes and review the future of the BT Vision brand, when it begins to offer both free and pay-TV services through YouView boxes.
BT has spent tens of millions of pounds marketing its pay TV services since its launch at the end of 2006, but despite having offered Sky Sports 1 and 2 since 2010, it had just 728,000 subscribers by the end of June.
A spokesman for BT declined to comment.Follow @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London