Bailey 'stock-take' set to criticise brands
A charity with close links to Number 10 is set to tell the government that brands have failed to tackle the commercialisation of childhood.
Last week, Edward Timpson, the minister for children, announced a ‘stock-take’ of the government’s Bailey Review into the commercialisation and sexualisation of childhood, which launched last year.
The exercise is designed to assess progress made on meeting the recommendations made by Mothers’ Union chief executive Reg Bailey.
Family and Parenting Institute chief executive Dr Katherine Rake said her evidence for the stock-take would argue that, while companies had responded well to the sexualisation agenda, they had neglected the commer-cialisation issue. She pointed to ‘pester power’ problems and children being ‘pressured’ by marketing to have the latest technology or branded clothing.
‘Commercialisation has not been developed in terms of strong recommendations in the same way as sexualisation,’ added Rake.
In response, Advertising Association director of public affairs Sue Eustace said the commercial world has a ‘great deal to offer children’ but added that ‘industry must keep on top of its responsibilities’.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Global Brand Manager - Drinks Trace c. £58k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / Surrey / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West)...
- Senior International Agency Sales Manager - Mobile Salt £70000 per annum + strong bonus and great bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director - Consumer Tech Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...
- Head of Marketing The RSA Circa £60,000 per annum (commensurate with skills and experience) + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director - Pharma / Healthcare Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...