Diageo seeks greater marketing creativity with 'Shooting for 10' philosophy
Diageo is attempting to transform its marketing creativity through an ambitious global drive called 'Shooting for 10'.
Diageo: new creative startegy for its Smirnoff vodka brand
Overseen by chief marketing officer Andy Fennell, the programme bears similarities to Unilever's 'Crafting brands for life' initiative, which aimed to foster a 'more magic, less logic' approach to marketing.
Fennell has, in the past, spoken of the need for marketers to take risks and not settle for 'sevens [out of 10]'.
One observer said it would result in creative development and briefing becoming less prescriptive and 'more of a dynamic creative debate'. Another claimed: 'No work will run unless it is deemed 10/10'.
Diageo has given marketers additional responsibilities as 'creative leaders' across their brands, and is briefing agencies on the philosophy.
It is also overhauling its 'Diageo Way of Brand Building' programme, a marketing toolkit created in 1999, to better reflect today's challenges. Roster agencies are being briefed on the changes.
A spokeswoman for the company said 'Shooting for 10' was not a 'formal initiative' but rather a goal to 'galvanise the marketing teams'.
It aimed to 'give marketers something to "stand behind" and get them to work out the best way to "shoot for a 10"', she added.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London