BBC iPlayer launches on Sky+
BBC iPlayer, the on-demand TV service, has launched on BSkyB's Sky+, where it will be available to 6.7 million customers through their Sky boxes.
Jonathan Ross: stars in Sky+ TV campaign
BBC iPlayer has been integrated into the Sky electronic programme guide (EPG), joining ITV and Channel 5 programming already available on the service. Sky+HD customers will be able to catch up with TV shows from all the terrestrial broadcasters by the end of the year, after 4oD signs up.
The service enables viewers to browse on-demand menus, look up content by channel, day and genre and download it automatically to a Sky+ box.
BBC iPlayer is already available on more than 650 platforms and devices, including Virgin Media, YouView and BT Vision. According to the BBC it had nearly 200 million requests for programmes in September alone.
Luke Bradley-Jones, director of TV products at Sky, said "We’re delighted to have partnered with the BBC to bring the best of the BBC on demand to Sky customers.
"Providing customers with the flexibility to enjoy their favourite TV on demand, our comprehensive catch-up TV service perfectly complements the genius of Sky+, which already helps millions of our customers take charge of their viewing.
"We continue to put Sky customers in control, with the addition of BBC iPlayer to Sky+ sitting alongside a range of innovations including remote record, series link and now even being able to use your iPad as a remote control."
Yesterday ITV launched its long-awaited micro payments system for viewers wanting to watch programming from its archive and it offers classic shows such as 'The Darling Buds of May' from 49p an episode.
The new ITV Player allows viewers to watch ad-funded catch-up TV from the past 30 days for free, buy a 30-day rental of single episodes without ads from 49p and rent ad-free full series box sets for 90 days.
ITV is planning to trial programme premieres so viewers can pay to watch the next episode of a series online straight after a show has been broadcast, without having to wait for it to be shown on linear channels.Follow @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Digital Display Executive (fashion e-commerce) Farfetch Competitive + bonus + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...