Paul Evans on launching Xbox's Kinect Star Wars game
Promoting the launch of Microsoft's multi-market videogame Kinect Star Wars earlier this year relied on a marketing strategy focused on creating buzz around social media, supported by media agency UM, says Paul Evans.
Talking to Marketing at IAB Engage 2012, Evans, head of media, EMEA at Xbox, explained the six month marketing strategy behind the launch. Admitting the activity required 16-18 hour days for six months, six days a week, Evans said two strong areas of focus were mobile and social.
Designed to sell games through word of mouth, the award-winning campaign is reported to have generated four times ROI, and to have successfully cut through the technology side to promote a great user experience.
Kinect Star Wars promised to bring the movie franchise to gamers like never before, by harnessing the controller-free power of Kinect for Xbox 360. Players are able to physically hone their Jedi skills, wield the power of the Force in their hands, pilot iconic ships and vehicles, rampage as a vicious Rancor monster or even dance with iconic Star Wars characters.
One of Evans' key learnings since launching the activity is that when it comes to harnessing social media and mobile, it is difficult to beat the power of video.
"Video is incredible," he said. "Video works so, so hard. Video drives a lot of impressions, separate to the app experience, the video worked in its own rights."Follow @DurraniMix
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...