Comet poised to file for administration
Comet is poised to file for administration this morning, putting around 6,000 jobs at the struggling electronics retailer at risk.
Comet: electrical retailer is expected to go into administration
It is understood Comet will announce the intention to appoint Deloitte as administrator later today as the retailer battles with paying suppliers up front for stock ahead of the crucial Christmas trading period.
The news comes less than a year after former Comet owner Kesa sold the retailer to a private equity-backed firm for £2.
Comet was bought by Hailey Holdings and Hailey Acquisitions, backed by private equity firm OpCapita, in November last year.
At the time the new owner promised to keep Comet as a going concern for 18 months and said after the period it would close some of the 250 stores to strip out costs.
Comet's expected fall into administration is just the latest bleak news to hit the high-street and follows that of Best Buy pulling out of the UK market less than a year ago by closing its 11 UK stores
The potential disappearance of Comet from the high street would leave Dixons Retail, owner of the Curry’s and PC World brands, as the only major consumer electronics retail brand with a physical presence in the UK.
Comet's and Best Buy’s woes come as consumers increasingly turn to online retailers including Amazon to buy their electrical goods.
Comet declined to comment.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...