UK online grocery sales surge as consumers seek value
Groceries now ranks as the third-biggest online shopping category in the UK, following a surge in ecommerce uptake in the sector in the past two years.
Online grocey sales have surged in the UK
According to research by Nielsen, about 74% of UK consumers now use the web for buying and researching household groceries.
The category is behind only travel and book purchases, up from seventh position two years ago. In the rest of Europe, grocery ranks, on average, as the 12th-biggest category in ecommerce terms.
The 2012 Nielsen ‘Global survey of digital influence on grocery shopping’ surveyed more than 28,000 web users in 56 countries. The report found that value is the pri-mary driving force behind growth in the UK, with 48% of Britons using the web to look for deals.
Almost one in three (30%) people visits coupon sites, and more than a quarter (26%) of those do so on a daily basis.
Mike Watkins, head of retailer insight at Nielsen UK, said the results ‘reinforce the price sensitivity of Britons when it comes to grocery shopping’.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1