Virgin Media launches rival to Sky Go
Virgin Media TV customers will now be able to view live and on-demand TV content across multiple devices, including mobiles and tablets, with a new service similar to Sky Go.
Virgin TV Anywhere: on demand service from Virgin Media
Virgin TV Anywhere is a free service, available to Virgin customers from today. It allows viewers to stream live TV and access premium channels such as Sky Sports and Sky Movies.
The service will launch with 45 channels and includes catch-up viewing services from BBC, ITV, 4oD and Demand 5. By comparison, Sky Go offers 33 live TV channels, as well as radio channels. Virgin Media also offers movies as part of its on-demand package to buy at an additional cost, in a similar way to Sky Go. Sky launched Sky Go, free to its customers, in July last year.
Virgin Media's service has social media functions embedded and through its iPhone and iPad app, users can share and comment on TV content across social media channels, in a similar way to TV companion app Zeebox, in which BSkyB has a 10% stake.
Users can also control their TiVo service on the go via the app. Virgin Media plans to roll out an Android mobile app at the start of next year, but currently the service is only available on Apple devices.
BT and TalkTalk's subscription offering YouView does not yet have a similar multiplatform service.
Red Bee Media created the online interface for Virgin TV Anywhere.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...