Brixton Pound triumphs at the Marketing Design Awards 2012
The Brixton Pound, a local currency launched in South London featuring local heroes including David Bowie and WWII spy Violette Szabo, has scooped the top prize at this year's Marketing Design Awards.
The Grand Prix is reserved for the entry that, in the opinion of the judges, has embraced the importance of strong design as an integral component in a successful marketing campaign in all areas, from start to finish.
Judges, led by Wayne Hemingway, founder of Red or Dead, praised the ‘innovation’, beautiful approach’ and ‘striking and appealing solution’ that the designers had taken for the Brixton Pound, which aims to help support local businesses and encourage trade in the area. The work was created by agency This Ain't Rock 'n' Roll.
Jeremy Lindley, global design director at Diageo and one of the judges, said that the Brixton Pound had caught the judges’ attention on a number of levels.
"It was brilliant to see design being brought to bear in a concept that is seeking to bring about social change and community cohesion," he said.
The Brixton Pound and This Ain't Rock 'n' Roll were the big winners on the day, scooping the top spot in the Charity & Non Profit and Financial & Utilities categories, as well as the Identity award in the design use categories. The social enterprise was also named Client of the Year as the client company that embraced bold thinking and delivered brave design.
The award winners were unveiled over lunch at London’s Grosvenor House hotel today, at an event hosted by Hemingway.
There were 16 category awards up for grabs, covering nine product sectors and seven design-use categories, including identity, product launch and rebrand.
Agencies Curious and Rosie Lee also enjoyed a successful afternoon, taking home two awards each. Curious' work for Electrolux (AEG) topped the Consumer Durables category and was a joint winner in the Product Launch category, alongside Rosie Lee's campaign for Uniqlo, which also won the Fashion, Footwear, Accessories & Beauty category.
Other winners produced work for brands as diverse as Lefarge Cement, Mexican department store El Puerto de Liverpool, Dixons and Teenage Cancer Trust.
For a full list of the winners, click here.
Did you attend the Awards? Marketing is keen to gather your feedback. Please click here to take a short survey.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London