Groupon revenues climb 32% as Europe faces challenges
Groupon has reported quarterly results below analysts' expectations, which it attributed to "continued challenges" for the business in Europe.
Groupon’s share price to plummeted by 17% in after hours trading to reach a record low of $3.23, down sharply from its initial public offering price of $28 when it listed in November last year.
The four year old daily deals site's revenue for the quarter ended 30 September was up 32% year-on-year to $568.6m (£356.5m), compared with $430.2m for the same period a year ago.
Andrew Mason, chief executive of the four-year old business, said it was experiencing "continued challenges" in Europe, which offset its growth in North America.
It does not break out revenue for Europe, but international revenue, grew 3% to $277m for the quarter. By comparison North American revenue surged 80% to $292 million.
It narrowed its net loss to $3m, compared with a $54m loss the same quarter last year, as it cut its marketing costs by 58% to $70.9m.
The results showed that it has grown its customer base by 36.7% year on year, reaching 39.5 million.
Previously, Groupon has flagged the debt crisis in Europe as a challenge to the business, making it harder for it to sell high-ticket deals in the region, such as laser hair removal.
The results suggest that consumers’ appetite for daily deals could be waning, particularly as the market becomes more crowded.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...