Morrisons avoids 'perfect' Christmas cliché with surreal ad
Morrisons is avoiding using the cliché of the "picture-perfect day" for its Christmas campaign, with a surreal TV ad dramatising a mum's hard work including eye-catching scenes such as wrestling a turkey.
The ad is a departure from the brand’s previous celebrity led-creative and aims to show the story of a family Christmas unfolding.
DLKW Lowe created the ad that features surreal scenes including the mum, played by 'This is England' actress Jo Hartley, wrestling a turkey.
Music for the campaign was created by Oscar-nominated American movie composer John Debney, who was nominated for his 'The Passion of The Christ' score.
The 60-second spot is being supported by shortened 20-second executions shot with the same cast and in the same style, and focusing on the expertise of its in-store specialists.
Facebook activity includes a competition called Crimes Against Christmas, which invites users to share images embarrassing images from past Christmases, including dodgy jumpers and food disasters.
Former commercial director Richard Hodgson, whose departure from the company was revealed last week, described the new creative direction as an attempt to demonstrate that "we understand our customers and resonate with the challenges they face in the run-up to Christmas".
The 60-second TV spot launched yesterday (11 November) during 'The X Factor' results show.
MEC handled the media planning and buying, while the production company was Academy.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire