Morrisons avoids 'perfect' Christmas cliché with surreal ad
Morrisons is avoiding using the cliché of the "picture-perfect day" for its Christmas campaign, with a surreal TV ad dramatising a mum's hard work including eye-catching scenes such as wrestling a turkey.
The ad is a departure from the brand’s previous celebrity led-creative and aims to show the story of a family Christmas unfolding.
DLKW Lowe created the ad that features surreal scenes including the mum, played by 'This is England' actress Jo Hartley, wrestling a turkey.
Music for the campaign was created by Oscar-nominated American movie composer John Debney, who was nominated for his 'The Passion of The Christ' score.
The 60-second spot is being supported by shortened 20-second executions shot with the same cast and in the same style, and focusing on the expertise of its in-store specialists.
Facebook activity includes a competition called Crimes Against Christmas, which invites users to share images embarrassing images from past Christmases, including dodgy jumpers and food disasters.
Former commercial director Richard Hodgson, whose departure from the company was revealed last week, described the new creative direction as an attempt to demonstrate that "we understand our customers and resonate with the challenges they face in the run-up to Christmas".
The 60-second TV spot launched yesterday (11 November) during 'The X Factor' results show.
MEC handled the media planning and buying, while the production company was Academy.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)