DMGT executive Steve Auckland to be CEO of Local World
Steve Auckland is to become chief executive of the new regional newspaper group Local World, which Daily Mail & General Trust (DMGT) confirmed it has sold its regional business to for £52.5m.
Steve Auckland: to be chief executive of regional newspaper group Local World
DMGT today (21 November) confirmed that it has sold Northcliffe Media to Local World, an entity that will combine the Northcliffe regional titles with those of Iliffe News & Media Limited. Trinity Mirror is also an investor in the new business.
DMGT has sold the titles – which include the Hull Daily Mail, Leicester Mercury and Bristol Evening Post – for £52.5m in cash, along with a 38.7% stake in the new business.
Local World will house more than 100 local newspapers in all.
Auckland is currently chief executive of Northcliffe Media and previously ran the now-defunct free title LondonLite, as well as free morning sheet Metro.
He will work alongside David Montgomery, previously chief executive of the pan-European newspaper group Mecom, who will be chairman of the new group and is one of a number of investors in the newspaper group.
The disposal of Northcliffe Media by DMGT is expected to trigger further consolidation in the sector, which is battling circulation declines and falling ad revenues.
DMGT tried to offload Northcliffe for around £1.5bn in 2005, but failed to find a buyer.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Online Content Manager, Sports Premier Consultants up to £30k plus benefits, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...