Lebedev seeks investor for Independent titles
Alexander Lebedev, the owner of The Independent and the London Evening Standard, is on the hunt for a minority partner to help fund the Independent titles.
Alexander Lebedev: owner of Independent titles seeks minority partner
Lebedev purchased The Independent and the Independent on Sunday for £1 two-and-a-half years ago.
The titles – which are registered in the name of Lebedev's son Evgeny – are forecast to make losses of around £14m in the forthcoming year. The size of the loss has been reduced due to recent cost-cutting and improved management of the titles.
Both titles are losing readers. In September, The Independent reported a circulation of 80,001 – the lowest in the daily national newspaper sector – while the Independent on Sunday reported a circulation of 119,822, the lowest across the Sunday national newspaper sector.
But the i paper, the cut-price sister title of the Independent, has proved a hit with consumers and reported a circulation of 304,691 in the same month.
The hunt for an investor is complicated, as Lebedev was charged with hooliganism and battery after punching a fellow speaker on a TV show in Russia and could face up to five years in jail.
According to one source, Lebedev has been seeking a minority investor for some time, perhaps even years.
Lebedev told The Times today, "We have cut the losses at The Independent quite considerably. But in the business plan for the coming two years, the loss would still be there. We have been looking for a potential minority partner. But if we don’t find a partner, we will go ahead."Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...