Clearcast turns down SodaStream ad appeal
SodaStream is considering legal action after Clearcast turned down the brand's appeal against its decision to block the broadcast of its new TV campaign, because it "denigrated" the bottled-drinks market.
Clearcast upheld its original ban, claiming the ad (above) "could be seen as telling people not to go to supermarkets and buy soft drinks, instead help to save the environment by buying a SodaStream".
Fiona Hope, SodaStream managing director, said she was "extremely concerned" about the final decision and claimed the brand was seeking legal advice following today’s news.
The ad, created by Alex Bogusky and Rob Schuham at Common Agency, featured batches of unidentified soft drinks in plastic bottles, spontaneously combusting every time someone pushed the top of their SodaStream machine.
It was pulled hours before it was due to air in the UK, despite already appearing on TV in the US and Australia as part of an £11m global campaign.
SodaStream then hit back with a new ad called "blacked-out bubbles" that showed a black screen, save for the words, "If you love the bubbles set them free," directing viewers to the original ad on YouTube. It has been viewed more than 1.2 million times on the site.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...