Netflix seals exclusive future US TV rights to Disney films
Netflix has struck a major deal with Walt Disney to become its exclusive TV partner with distribution rights to its movies, including those from Pixar and Marvel, in the US.
Netflix: signs exclusive TV partner deal with Disney
The deal means Netflix will be able to stream new Disney films, from 2016, as soon as seven months after they appear cinemas.
It will also start streaming library titles, such as 'Dumbo' and 'Alice in Wonderland', immediately.
Netflix is replacing cable company Starz as part of the deal, which is the first time a major studio has bypassed cable TV for film distribution.
Financial details of the deal were not disclosed by either company.
In the UK last month, BSkyB has signed a multi-year deal with NBCUniversal for the rights to current, upcoming and library feature films from Universal Pictures, shutting out rivals LoveFilm and Netflix from new films such as 'Anna Karenina'.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - shopper marketing agency - London Judi Patton £50-65k dependent on experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)