Labour review to revisit curbs on advertising
The Labour Party is to consider a further clampdown on junk food and alcohol advertising during the policy review that will shape its manifesto for the 2015 general election.
Labour Party: considering clamping down on junk food and alcohol advertising
Labour sources revealed that ads would be on the agenda when the party begins a rethink of its public health policy. A discussion document on food regulation will be issued shortly.
Diane Abbott, the shadow public health minister, said obesity and alcohol abuse would play a big part in the review, and accused the Government of failing to address either problem. "We need to make a start by looking at a proper traffic light system for food, a sensible minimum pricing policy on alcohol and by understanding the influence of advertising on public health challenges," she added.
Ad industry leaders will urge Labour not to propose bans or further curbs, arguing that advertising is given disproportionate focus in the debate. They are expected to lobby senior Labour figures including Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary and Abbott’s boss, who did not impose a ban when he was health secretary in the previous Labour government.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! to £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London