SodaStream capitalises on ad ban in new 'censored' campaign
SodaStream is again hitting out at Clearcast's final decision to ban its "SodaStream effect" television ad, with a print campaign brandishing the word "censored".
SodaStream: print campaign hits out at ban on TV ad
The print work states, "Censored. With SodaStream you can save 1,000 bottles a year."
It continues, "This week, our TV advertisement has been banned from being shown on UK TV because the major commercial broadcasters have ruled it 'denigrates the soft-drinks industry'. This is the same soft-drinks industry which spends £39m in TV advertising each year.
"In the UK, we dispose of 35 million plastic bottles every day and only 26% of these are recycled. An estimated 8% of world oil consumption is used in manufacturing plastic and this doesn't include transportation.
"For some this truth is uncomfortable, but should it be banned from being told? Clearcast and the major UK commercial broadcasters seem to think so."
The ad then directs consumers to SodaStream’s Facebook page, with the line, "Stand up and be heard".
The ad is running under the "Set the bubbles free" slogan in today's Daily Mail, i, Guardian and London Evening Standard newspapers.
SodaStream's original ad, which showed unidentified batches of soft drinks in plastic bottles, was pulled by Clearcast hours before it was due to air, despite the ad already airing in the US and Australia.
Following the ban, SodaStream launched a protest TV ad showing a black screen, while appealing the original ban, and is now seeking legal advice following Clearcast's final decision to uphold the ban.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...