SodaStream capitalises on ad ban in new 'censored' campaign
SodaStream is again hitting out at Clearcast's final decision to ban its "SodaStream effect" television ad, with a print campaign brandishing the word "censored".
SodaStream: print campaign hits out at ban on TV ad
The print work states, "Censored. With SodaStream you can save 1,000 bottles a year."
It continues, "This week, our TV advertisement has been banned from being shown on UK TV because the major commercial broadcasters have ruled it 'denigrates the soft-drinks industry'. This is the same soft-drinks industry which spends £39m in TV advertising each year.
"In the UK, we dispose of 35 million plastic bottles every day and only 26% of these are recycled. An estimated 8% of world oil consumption is used in manufacturing plastic and this doesn't include transportation.
"For some this truth is uncomfortable, but should it be banned from being told? Clearcast and the major UK commercial broadcasters seem to think so."
The ad then directs consumers to SodaStream’s Facebook page, with the line, "Stand up and be heard".
The ad is running under the "Set the bubbles free" slogan in today's Daily Mail, i, Guardian and London Evening Standard newspapers.
SodaStream's original ad, which showed unidentified batches of soft drinks in plastic bottles, was pulled by Clearcast hours before it was due to air, despite the ad already airing in the US and Australia.
Following the ban, SodaStream launched a protest TV ad showing a black screen, while appealing the original ban, and is now seeking legal advice following Clearcast's final decision to uphold the ban.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London