SodaStream capitalises on ad ban in new 'censored' campaign
SodaStream is again hitting out at Clearcast's final decision to ban its "SodaStream effect" television ad, with a print campaign brandishing the word "censored".
SodaStream: print campaign hits out at ban on TV ad
The print work states, "Censored. With SodaStream you can save 1,000 bottles a year."
It continues, "This week, our TV advertisement has been banned from being shown on UK TV because the major commercial broadcasters have ruled it 'denigrates the soft-drinks industry'. This is the same soft-drinks industry which spends £39m in TV advertising each year.
"In the UK, we dispose of 35 million plastic bottles every day and only 26% of these are recycled. An estimated 8% of world oil consumption is used in manufacturing plastic and this doesn't include transportation.
"For some this truth is uncomfortable, but should it be banned from being told? Clearcast and the major UK commercial broadcasters seem to think so."
The ad then directs consumers to SodaStream’s Facebook page, with the line, "Stand up and be heard".
The ad is running under the "Set the bubbles free" slogan in today's Daily Mail, i, Guardian and London Evening Standard newspapers.
SodaStream's original ad, which showed unidentified batches of soft drinks in plastic bottles, was pulled by Clearcast hours before it was due to air, despite the ad already airing in the US and Australia.
Following the ban, SodaStream launched a protest TV ad showing a black screen, while appealing the original ban, and is now seeking legal advice following Clearcast's final decision to uphold the ban.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire