Warburtons ends European bread trial
Warburtons has ended its first European venture, which involved selling its bread in central Europe.
Warburtons: breakfast by RKCR/Y&R
The Bolton-based bread maker began selling a number of its brands in Tesco stores last year, in countries such as the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland.
The lines were sold on a trial basis.
However, Warburtons has made the decision to pull the plug on the venture because of the transport costs, which were thought to be higher than anticipated.
It is believed that selling the Warburtons lines – which included a white Toastie loaf, brown bread and crumpets – was also hit by the need to change the recipes to help extend the shelf-life of the products in the countries.
The language barrier was also thought to be an obstacle.
Warburtons still has ambitions overseas. In August this year, it began selling its brand in France, marketed as "the everyday bread of the English."
Its white, wholemeal, and seeded loaves are being sold in 270 branches of French supermarket Monoprix, which are predominantly located around Paris.
Warburtons was unavailable for comment.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...