Facebook further expands into real-cash gambling
Facebook is further exploring real-money gambling after striking a partnership with gaming company 888 Holdings to offer bingo, casino and slot games on the social network in the UK.
Facebook: extends gambling offering
The social networking giant made its first foray into online gambling with the launch of a "Bingo Friendzy" app, by Gamesys in August this year, allowing users to play with real cash.
888 already operates a Bingo Island game on Facebook. Facebook did not confirm when the gambling apps would roll out.
It is unknown whether Facebook plans to roll out its gambling apps to other markets, such as the US, where online gambling is not regulated like the UK.
Itai Frieberger, chief executive officer of 888, said: "Our Facebook freemium offerings have found a significant audience, and we are very excited by the opportunity that real money gaming on Facebook provides.
"We are working closely with Facebook on this launch, ensuring we introduce the best of both worlds of real money and social gaming," he said.
The news comes within weeks of Facebook and social gaming business Zynga loosening their ties, putting the two companies in closer competition in the gaming sphere.
Separately, Facebook began rolling out new privacy controls yesterday, which include a privacy shortcut in the top-right hand corner of the page, to allow users greater control over who can contact them.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Senior Designer Duke Circa £40k - £43k , London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...