CRISTAL FESTIVAL: Don't just innovate for the sake of it, says Mademoiselle Scarlett chief
Creative agencies shouldn't just innovate for the sake of it and should be respectful for what brands are about, according to Oliver Bouas-Laurent, chief executive of French agency Mademoiselle Scarlett.
Oliver Bouas-Laurent: chief executive of Mademoiselle Scarlett
Speaking at the Cristal festival for media and advertising in Switzerland yesterday, Bouas-Laurent, whose agency works with clients such as Porsche, Bonne Maman and Desperados, said agencies needed to realise "meaning is back".
He said: "People want meaning. People are flagging. You shouldn't just innovate for the sake of innovating. When you're innovating, you have to be respectful for what the brand is about
In common with ideas presented by Fru Hazlitt, ITV's managing director of commercial, online and interactive, at the IAB Engage conference in the UK in October, Bouas-Laurent said "digital" had ceased to be a "topic" and was now integrated into the wider conversation.
He said: "Innovation is what we consume every day. We're already multiscreen. What we're looking for is something that has never been done before. A first. Like a show."
Brands should try and surprise people, Bouas-Laurent said. "It's better to adopt a 365-day strategy, rather than a 360-degree strategy. Try and constantly surprise [the consumer] throughout the year rather than have the same strategy all year long."
Earlier in the session on market research, Luc Laurentin, development director at research firm Limelight Consulting, said creative agencies should not just be creative "for the sake of being creative" and should get out of their silos.
Laurentin said: "What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It's between the moment you're going to fall, and when you fall, that you make the most progress."
The Cristal summit for media and advertising started on Wednesday (12 December) at the Crans-Montana ski resort in Switzerland and the sessions and awards ceremonies continue until Sunday (16 December).
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...