CRISTAL FESTIVAL: Don't just innovate for the sake of it, says Mademoiselle Scarlett chief
Creative agencies shouldn't just innovate for the sake of it and should be respectful for what brands are about, according to Oliver Bouas-Laurent, chief executive of French agency Mademoiselle Scarlett.
Oliver Bouas-Laurent: chief executive of Mademoiselle Scarlett
Speaking at the Cristal festival for media and advertising in Switzerland yesterday, Bouas-Laurent, whose agency works with clients such as Porsche, Bonne Maman and Desperados, said agencies needed to realise "meaning is back".
He said: "People want meaning. People are flagging. You shouldn't just innovate for the sake of innovating. When you're innovating, you have to be respectful for what the brand is about
In common with ideas presented by Fru Hazlitt, ITV's managing director of commercial, online and interactive, at the IAB Engage conference in the UK in October, Bouas-Laurent said "digital" had ceased to be a "topic" and was now integrated into the wider conversation.
He said: "Innovation is what we consume every day. We're already multiscreen. What we're looking for is something that has never been done before. A first. Like a show."
Brands should try and surprise people, Bouas-Laurent said. "It's better to adopt a 365-day strategy, rather than a 360-degree strategy. Try and constantly surprise [the consumer] throughout the year rather than have the same strategy all year long."
Earlier in the session on market research, Luc Laurentin, development director at research firm Limelight Consulting, said creative agencies should not just be creative "for the sake of being creative" and should get out of their silos.
Laurentin said: "What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It's between the moment you're going to fall, and when you fall, that you make the most progress."
The Cristal summit for media and advertising started on Wednesday (12 December) at the Crans-Montana ski resort in Switzerland and the sessions and awards ceremonies continue until Sunday (16 December).
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire