CRISTAL FESTIVAL: Branding in games must be 'additive', says We R Interactive exec
Brands' involvement in online games must be "additive to the player's experience", according to Paul Whitehead, global commercial director at social gaming company We R Interactive.
Paul Whitehead: global commercial director at We R Interactive.
Speaking at the Cristal Festival in Switzerland last Friday (14 December), Whitehead said We R Interactive only incorporated brands into its 'I Am Playr' football game if the partnership "enhances the players' experience".
Whitehead said: "We wanted to try to reinforce Gillette's brand emotion of confidence. One thing footballers say is they want to look good and feel good. When at the peak of their performance, they see everything in slow motion."
We R Interactive translated that feeling of confidence into the game, introducing the Gillette Sports Science Centre. By fulfilling a series of tasks, players could gain confidence and unlock an ability to slow down the ball to help their game play.
Whitehead said: "It's not a campaign initiative, it's the start of a long-term partnership. There will be seven more features which we will be launching in the game over the coming months, which will continue to build relationship between Gillette and its audience."
Elsewhere on the site, We R Interactive has sold half a million pairs of virtual Nike football boots, making it the second-biggest store globally, and users have configured 260,000 virtual Alfa Romeo cars.
'I Am Playr' claims to have seven million global players from 220 countries. Whitehead said 95% of 'I Am Playr' users were male and between the ages of 16 to 34, with the average user spending 44 minutes a day playing the game.Follow @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...