CRISTAL FESTIVAL: Branding in games must be 'additive', says We R Interactive exec
Brands' involvement in online games must be "additive to the player's experience", according to Paul Whitehead, global commercial director at social gaming company We R Interactive.
Paul Whitehead: global commercial director at We R Interactive.
Speaking at the Cristal Festival in Switzerland last Friday (14 December), Whitehead said We R Interactive only incorporated brands into its 'I Am Playr' football game if the partnership "enhances the players' experience".
Whitehead said: "We wanted to try to reinforce Gillette's brand emotion of confidence. One thing footballers say is they want to look good and feel good. When at the peak of their performance, they see everything in slow motion."
We R Interactive translated that feeling of confidence into the game, introducing the Gillette Sports Science Centre. By fulfilling a series of tasks, players could gain confidence and unlock an ability to slow down the ball to help their game play.
Whitehead said: "It's not a campaign initiative, it's the start of a long-term partnership. There will be seven more features which we will be launching in the game over the coming months, which will continue to build relationship between Gillette and its audience."
Elsewhere on the site, We R Interactive has sold half a million pairs of virtual Nike football boots, making it the second-biggest store globally, and users have configured 260,000 virtual Alfa Romeo cars.
'I Am Playr' claims to have seven million global players from 220 countries. Whitehead said 95% of 'I Am Playr' users were male and between the ages of 16 to 34, with the average user spending 44 minutes a day playing the game.Follow @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)