British Sports Marketing Bureau tipped for New Year launch
Britain's Olympic and Paralympic sports are to pool their commercial rights into an independent company, called the British Sports Marketing Bureau (BSMB), which is set to launch in the New Year, if it is backed by the national governing bodies.
London 2012: sports marketing bureau aims to build on British Olympic successes
The BSMB is being set up to attract sports sponsorship.
Around 80 sports governing bodies and related sports organisations have been consulted on the proposals, which will involve them collaborating on rights deals.
The idea is that the BSMB would use its contacts and expertise to stitch together deals across a range of sports, which would be tailor-made to match each sponsor’' requirements.
At present, more than 80 British sporting rights holders have been asked to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
The creation of the BSMB is a response to a number of companies that said they found the sports rights market ill-suited to their needs.
As opposed to sponsoring a specific sport, some companies want their names linked with a relevant issue such as sports volunteering, technology or community activity, covering a multitude of sports.
Should it prove successful in the sponsorship field, the BSMB in time to extend its scope of activity to cover broadcasting rights.
The move to set up the BSMB comes as details of the UK Sport's 2016 Olympic funding programme have been announced
Sports which did well during the Olympics, such as boxing, were among the winners. Boxing, for instance, has received an increase of 44.5% in its funding, to £13.8m. However, handball, basketball, table tennis and wrestling lost all support, while swimming suffered a £4m cut to its budget.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...