Jessops goes into administration
Jessops, the photographic retailer, has today fallen into administration, marking the latest casualty to hit the nation's high-streets.
Jessops: camera specialist goes into administration
Jessops has 192 stores in the UK and employs around 2,000 staff. The camera retailer has in recent years been hit by increased competition from internet retailers and supermarkets. Its demise marks the first high-street casualty of 2013. PricewaterHouseCoopers (PwC) has been appointed as the administrator.
Rob Hunt, joint administrator and partner at PwC, told the BBC: "Out most pressing task is to review the company’s financial position and hold discussions with its principal stakeholders to see if the business can be preserved.
"Trading in the stores is hoped to continue today but is critically dependant on these ongoing discussions. However, in the current economic climate it is inevitable that there will be store closures."
Jessops demise follows that of Peacocks, the value fashion chain, Blacks Leisure, the outdoor goods specialist, video games retailers Game Group and Clinton Cards, the greetings card retailer.
Jessops was not available to comment.Follow @johnowens86
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - shopper marketing agency - London Judi Patton £50-65k dependent on experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)