NEWSPAPER ABCs: Sun on Sunday falls below 2m mark in December
The Sun on Sunday has fallen below the two million circulation mark for the first time, sinking 6% between November and December, and losing 1.3 million from its headline circulation since its 2012 launch.
Sun on Sunday: falls below two million mark
The 50p Sun on Sunday reported a circulation of 1,886,739 in December, down 6.10% on November. All the Sunday newspaper titles were down on the previous month, with the red-tops suffering the worse in the market, down 4.02%.
The Sun on Sunday's debut circulation figure in 2012 was 3,213,613. Its second audited figure was 2,426,894. Such a big loss to its headline circulation in December will be a concern to executives at the Sun On Sunday, which was launched as a replacement for the News of the World. The weekday issue of The Sun registered a circulation of 2,227,809 in December.
Across the rest of the Sunday tabloid market, the Daily Star Sunday was down 2.04% to 360,747. The Sunday Mirror was down 1.15% to 1,024,543 and the Sunday People was down 3.86% to 428,406.
Across the mid-market titles, The Sunday Express got the upperhand on its rival the Daily Mail, and fell just 1.60% compared to The Mail on Sunday which was down 2.6%.
The worse performer across the Sunday quality market was The Observer, which fell 2.26% to 230,833, although the rest of the Sunday quality market was also down on the previous month.
Full figures for December 2012 (Click interactive graphics below for full details)AUTOFEED INTERACTIVE DATA Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £65000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Account Director The Great & The Good £45000 - £50000 per annum, West End
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)