NEWSPAPER ABCs: Sun on Sunday falls below 2m mark for first time
The Sun on Sunday has fallen below the two million circulation mark for the first time, sinking 6% between November and December, and losing 1.3 million from its headline circulation since its 2012 launch.
Sun on Sunday: falls below two million mark
The 50p Sun on Sunday reported a circulation of 1,886,739 in December, down 6.10% on November. All the Sunday newspaper titles were down on the previous month, with the red-tops suffering the worse in the market, down 4.02%.
The Sun on Sunday's debut circulation figure in 2012 was 3,213,613. Its second audited figure was 2,426,894. Such a big loss to its headline circulation in December will be a concern to executives at the Sun On Sunday, which was launched as a replacement for the News of the World. The weekday issue of The Sun registered a circulation of 2,227,809 in December.
Across the rest of the Sunday tabloid market, the Daily Star Sunday was down 2.04% to 360,747. The Sunday Mirror was down 1.15% to 1,024,543 and the Sunday People was down 3.86% to 428,406.
Across the mid-market titles, The Sunday Express got the upperhand on its rival the Daily Mail, and fell just 1.60% compared to The Mail on Sunday which was down 2.6%.
The worse performer across the Sunday quality market was The Observer, which fell 2.26% to 230,833, although the rest of the Sunday quality market was also down on the previous month.
Full figures for December 2012 (Click interactive graphics below for full details)AUTOFEED INTERACTIVE DATA Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...