NEWSPAPER ABCs: Sun on Sunday falls below 2m mark for first time
The Sun on Sunday has fallen below the two million circulation mark for the first time, sinking 6% between November and December, and losing 1.3 million from its headline circulation since its 2012 launch.
Sun on Sunday: falls below two million mark
The 50p Sun on Sunday reported a circulation of 1,886,739 in December, down 6.10% on November. All the Sunday newspaper titles were down on the previous month, with the red-tops suffering the worse in the market, down 4.02%.
The Sun on Sunday's debut circulation figure in 2012 was 3,213,613. Its second audited figure was 2,426,894. Such a big loss to its headline circulation in December will be a concern to executives at the Sun On Sunday, which was launched as a replacement for the News of the World. The weekday issue of The Sun registered a circulation of 2,227,809 in December.
Across the rest of the Sunday tabloid market, the Daily Star Sunday was down 2.04% to 360,747. The Sunday Mirror was down 1.15% to 1,024,543 and the Sunday People was down 3.86% to 428,406.
Across the mid-market titles, The Sunday Express got the upperhand on its rival the Daily Mail, and fell just 1.60% compared to The Mail on Sunday which was down 2.6%.
The worse performer across the Sunday quality market was The Observer, which fell 2.26% to 230,833, although the rest of the Sunday quality market was also down on the previous month.
Full figures for December 2012 (Click interactive graphics below for full details)AUTOFEED INTERACTIVE DATA Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Digital Marketing Manager Brand Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Warwickshire
- Technical SEO Specialist - £32k + benefits - chance to join leading independent media agency in heart of London! SYLEX Recruitment £28000 - £32000 per annum, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London ...
- Digital Planner- Charity brands Dynamic New Alliances £55000.00 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Marketing Manager Brand Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Suffolk
- Account Director - RTB Accord Group Limited c. £40,000 per annum, Central London WC1A 1DG