NEWSPAPER ABCs: FT, Guardian and Daily Telegraph circulations stay steady
The Independent's circulation has fallen by over a third in the past 12 months, while the Financial Times, Guardian and Daily Telegraph managed slight month-on-month circulation increases in December.
National dailies: FT, Guardian and Telegraph had slight month-on-month rises
According to figures from the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC), The Independent had an average circulation of 78,082 in December 2012, down 34.69% year on year, but a decline of just 1.3% when compared to November 2012.
The Financial Times, which announced its digital subscriptions had surpassed its print circulation for the first time in August last year, had the strongest month-on-month performance, with an average circulation of 286,401, up 1.6%.
However, the FT’s circulation for December represented a decline of 14.2% year on year.
The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian also reported modest month-on-month increases in their circulation, up 0.2% and 0.3% to 547,465 and 204,222 respectively, in December, although both were down year on year.
The best performance year on year was from The Independent's sister paper, the i, with an average circulation of 291,311 in December, up 31.4% when compared to the same month in 2011.
Despite being the strongest performer year on year, i's circulation was down 3.7% when compared to November 2012, ending a two-month run where its average circulation had stayed above 300,000.
In the daily tabloid market, the Daily Star reported the steepest yearly fall, with an average circulation of 540,548 in December, down 12.3% year on year and a drop of 3.5% when compared to November 2012.
The Sun continues to be the biggest national newspaper, with a circulation of 2.28 million copies, despite this representing a decline of 10.0% year on year and 3.6% month on month.
The Daily Mail had an average circulation of 1.84 million in December, down 7.54% year on year and 1.44% month on month.
Full figures for December 2012 (Click interactive graphics below for full details)
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Junior Account Director / Account Director - Fabulous Global Agency - Central London - to £47k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £47k, Central London
- business director > TOP LONDON AGENCY > ATL collectivo Up to £90,000 + great benefits, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER | Integrated Agency | Confectionery | up to £30k Judi Patton up to £30k, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Creative London Agency - MOBILE/Social Media - £40-47k Judi Patton £40-47k, London
- eCommerce Director - Well regarded ethical Brand ADLIB Competitive + Benefits, Devon
- Account Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £29000 per annum, Barnes